Thursday, April 13, 2017

To the woman who started my coffee addiction at age 5

    


     I've lost a great many people in my life. I think about them often and miss them always. Sometimes though one particular person just keeps coming to your mind. Everything you see reminds you of them. These last few weeks it has been my great grandmother, Marie, or as I called her my Mamaw Murfreesboro. As I was thinking, I realized so many things about me originated with her so I thought I'd share a few so you know why I am the way I am.

     My love of coffee came from her. I remember when we would stay with her I would try to wake up as early as possible so it would be just me and her. I was probably 5.  She would be out on her back patio drinking coffee. When she'd see me, she'd come in and make me coffee. Every time she made coffee she'd tell me the same thing as she poured a lot of milk into my cup of coffee. "Now you're a blonde. Blondes drink their coffee with milk and sugar. If you were dark headed you could have your coffee black. That's the rules." Now as I grew up I knew that probably wasn't logical but it held true for a long time. When I was 20 years old at work, I saw a dark haired person drinking coffee with cream for the very first time. It kinda broke my heart that Mamaw's coffee rule wasn't true anymore. Either way she started my coffee habit.

     She had the most beautiful flower beds. I never thought I'd want flower beds because I hated weeding them as a kid. As I've grown older though I find I love my flower beds and the memories of hers always come to mind. I also find I enjoy sitting outside on my patio just like her with a cup of coffee talking to my flowers.

     My love of Johnny Cash and Elvis came from her. I would follow her around room to room listening to her whistle. Now I tried to whistle but couldn't. One day she told me her whistler broke so she just blew air now. The air still made a noise but not a whistle. She taught me to "our whistle"  Ring of Fire.

     Mamaw was one of the best cooks ever. She made the only fudge I love, butterscotch. I've only ever found it twice in my life.  She also made the best chocolate pie in the world. Many of my recipes I cook are her recipes like steak and gravy and pork chops. Her house always had the best food. No one ever left hungry.

    Some of my first memories of church were with her. I remember driving past farms to get to this tiny church. I remember Uncle Joe singing "I'll fly away" on Easter. I also remember an Easter egg hunt in the cemetery where I think Uncle Joe and Mamaw helped me find the gold egg. I was very disappointed it was just a hard boiled egg covered with aluminum foil and kinda wished I had picked up the marshmallow bunny instead.

     Mamaw gave me the nickname George. Well, Im pretty sure every grandkid was nicknamed George. We just all knew by how she said it which one of us she was talking to.

     Mamaw was one of the most breath taking people I remember. She always was dressed impeccably. Her make up was always applied perfectly. She always smelled so wonderful. She was graceful, stylish, and very regal like. I've always wanted to be like her when I grow up. Except I didn't get the grace part. I trip over air. Haha. I remember a family friend saying that Marie would never be gone because I looked just like her. I thought she was crazy. I do see now that my grandfather and her both gave me their big cheeks and our eyes are the same when we smile.I also got her hair.... not sure if that's a blessing or a curse. She had absolutely the best laugh. It filled up the house and was infectious.  In fact, her house was always filled with laughter, a lot of people, and a lot of love. It had a warmth and homey feel for all who visited. She is surely missed by all of us.





1 comment: